The Hawai'i Pono'i Coalition will honor Queen Lili'uokalani as a world leader of peace and justice on September 4, 2011, at ‘Iolani Palace, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The organization said that the special event is a day to gather to remember this great leader, to reflect on the past, to look to the future. It's a family day where kama‘āina and malihini can gather to learn about Hawai'i's history, enjoy great entertainment, food, and cultural activities, see a play and walk on a tour.
'Onipa'a will feature:
- Entertainment by the Royal Hawaiian Band, Jerry Santos and Olomana, Ipo Kumukahi, Halau I Ka Wekiu (Michael Nalanakila'ekolu Casupang and Karl Veto Baker, Na Kumu Hula), and others
- Ecumenical Services at Noon with Kahu Van Culin and Nola Nahulu
- Presentation by Walter Kawaiae'a on the Queen's Music
- The Queen's Play by the Ka Lei Maile Ali'i Hawaiian Civic Club
- The popular Mai Poina Walking Tours (a re-enactment of the events leading to the overthrow of the Hawaiian Monarchy under the direction of noted playwright Victoria Kneubuhl.)
- Free admission to 'Iolani Palace
- Cultural and educational exhibitions
The event is sponsored by: The Hawai 'i Pono'i Coalition; the Office of Hawaiian Affairs; Kamehameha Schools; the Queen Lili'uokalani Children's Center; and the Friends of 'Iolani Palace.