The Protestant Church of Kaumakapili, located on the corner of King and Palama Streets, was dedicated in June 1911, and is the third structure built by the congregation. Notably, Mason Architects, who oversaw the recent restoration efforts, received an Award of Merit from the Historic Hawaiʻi Foundation in 2004, and the church was added to the National and State Historic Register in the same year.
The church, founded in 1838 by makaʻainana (commoners), was a thatched-roof adobe structure located on the corner of Smith and Beretania Streets. In 1881, the adobe building was torn down to make way for a new brick edifice, and in 1888, the two-steepled structure was dedicated. In 1900, when health authorities took drastic measures to eradicate the spread of the bubonic plague on Hawaiʻiʻs shores by igniting parts of Chinatown, stray sparks caused the church to be engulfed by flames, leaving only the brick walls standing.
Since its humble beginnings in 1838, the church has tirelessly served the Hawaiian community and beyond, and has expanded to include health services, human services programs, and worship services conducted in both Hawaiian language and English.
Upcoming celebrations include:
• June 8-9th – Annual ʻAha Na Kai ʻEwalu all-state Association of Hawaiian Evangelical Churches Conference
• June 25th – Sanctuary Centennial Celebration
E Pauahi, Aʻole Paulele ~ The fire is done, the journey continues
6pm-9pm – Sheraton Waikiki Resort Ballroom
• July 16th – 40th Annual Benefit Luʻau
8am-2pm – Kaumakapili Church
Also planned this summer are special Sunday worship services honoring past ministers and Hawaiian church choirs.
Kaumakapili Churchʻs mission is to glorify God by bearing the fruits of God's aloha and gifts, and so proving to be faithful disciples of Christ, who are equipped for the work of the ministry of proclaiming the good news to all people, by witnessing in word and deed, by serving those in need, by welcoming and receiving all people into the church fellowship, and by nurturing and equipping the church members for the growth of the Body of Christ.